Internet Marketing Strategies – what you can learn from Wild Animals
On my recent visit to Yala National Park in Sri Lanka South Eastern region – I was very interested in the types of animals that I saw and how they had solved the problem of survival in very arid part of the world with such poor sources of food.
The Leopard – a predator that specializes in cunning and surprise pounces on its prey after studying its next meal from the treetops. Its luxurious courts provides it good camouflage in the bush – silence and surprise is crucial to its success. It spends even more effort to get its kill out of the reach of other predators by moving the carcass to the higher parts of the trees to be devoured at leisure.
The bear – the Ceylon Sloth Bear -is a territorial and aggressive predators that violently defends its turf – sometimes attacking much larger trespassers ensuring that its home territory is protected from interlopers. Bears need a large area to forage and search for food and has a large diet of both fruits and meat.
The Tusker (Elephant) – is a large herbivore and needs to track purposefully to survive and reach a new waterhole before exiting water source runs out. It also relies on its prodigious memory and several generations of wisdom which allows it to locate waterholes and best grazing sites by working together as a close knit group with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
Wildlife Survival Strategies to Internet Marketing Strategies
What do you need to do first – prepare a list of your own strengths and weaknesses in relation to internet marketing.
- Strengths and Weaknesses – Wildlife always look to work at making there strengths into an advantage – leopard is its camouflage, bear is aggression and Tusker its enormous size. The main weakness that most Internet Marketers have is the lack of skill – so spend at least 50% of your time developing your skill set – e.g. writing, copy writing, blogging, graphic designing, financial knowledge, managing project deadlines and costs, managing poeple, outsourcing, managing time, selling your ideas, business planning and raising finance.
- Proprietary Information OK now look at the things that interests you and have proprietary knowledge about – don’t worry if you don’t know anything – doing some internet research will help you to find out something new that people are willing to pay to find out about. Go out and interview experts, get into joint ventures with experts, tap in on expertise that your friends and relatives may have, start formal methods of gathering research data, gather opinions and surveys and read relevant magazines published by industry specialists.
- Specialization The important lesson that you can learn from wildlife is that they have specialized in the method that they hunt for food – successful internet marketers too have specialized in a particular type of traffic. So consider the different types of getting traffic to your site SEO, PPC, PPV, POF(Plenty of Fish), mailing lists (solo ads), contextual, banner and other media
- Patience and You need to have a good memory and data collection and analysis skills such as the Tusker that always remembers the location of watering holes and best grazing sites and you have to be patient like the leopard that stalks its prey for days before finally getting a meal or sometimes nothing.
- You need to innovate to survive in internet marketing – wildlife regularly change their behavior to avoid predators and carnivores change habits to surprise prey – so experiment with something new and different – it might payout big dividends.
- Keep an eye on the big picture – one issue with specializing is that you take your eye off the big picture – keep your eyes open to macro changes taking place in the internet’s eco-system that sometimes lead to paradigm shift that could make your specialization obsolete or provide you with incredible opportunities – Wildlife rely on instinct and are naturally attuned to changes in environment – so much so that wildlife in Yala National Park escaped the Boxing day tsunami even though many humans in the same area perished.
- Low hanging fruit – Wild animals always attack older, weaker, slower and/or younger prey – as an internet marketer you too should look for opportunities with high ROI – with much less effort and money invested. Example many internet marketers ignore excellent off-line methods of promoting products and services for relative small cost and high return. Selling education loans and services at your neighboring university or selling car insurance by sharing commission with a used car sale dealership. Drop shipping is another excellent income making opportunity that most internet marketers ignore.
- Mold the product to match market needs – Wild animals always look out for newborns especially if many predators are around and seen as threats – customers are the internet marketers main concern so making little ebooks, webinars, videos or flyers are crucial to capturing the attention and loyalty of customers. Creating an online community, facebook fan page, mailing list etc are some of the methods of ensuring constant communication with customers and taking their concerns seriously.
Please tell us if any of the above gave you pause for thought and you can also mention your own strategies that you use to develop your internet marketing business.