How can you significantly improve your financial position?
Receiving the monthly electricity bill is similar to receiving a major electric shock and countering this high utility cost is key to Sri Lanka’s survival – some of the steps that could be followed have been indicated below:
- Substantial reduction in electricity is cost is possible by switching to a new refrigerator especially if your fridge is more than 10 years old – please check for energy star rating and monthly KWH consumption and also for digital inverter compressor before deciding on a new refrigerator
- Switch to LED bulbs and tube lights – even though the initial investment is significant long term benefit justifies the switch to LED. First replace the bulbs and tube lights that are in use for long periods of time.
- Water pump replacement and usage- water pump usage is key to reducing electricity as wasted water also leads to higher usage of the water pump – so making sure that water leaks are kept to a minimum and also water used for cleaning and bathing etc should be used sparingly. Selecting a water pump that uses less electricity is also beneficial – some models are very energy efficient.
- Air conditioners should also be used sparingly as AC costs are the highest compare to other options such as ceiling fans and pedestal fans. Please switch to ACs that used inverter compressors if you use ACs for more than 6 hours.
- Also use lights with sensors will help to reduce outdoor lighting costs.
- Monitor and eliminate appliances that use excess standby power – and always select energy star products to ensure minimum energy usage.
- Iron also costs a lot so usage should be minimized by starting clothes that need the lowest temperature to the clothes that need the highest temperature such as jeans and ironing a lot of clothes in one session also helps reduce heating costs.
Please add your own tips in the comments below: